The GA is a lively community of practice with a proud history of innovation and an unrivalled understanding of geography teaching. It is an unincorporated association and a registered charity with a mission to further the learning and teaching of geography. Core activities are financed by membership subscriptions. Members include teachers in primary and secondary schools and further education, academic geographers, universities and teacher educators and trainers. The GA is run by a small body of professional staff based in Sheffield, together with Officers elected from the membership. Activities include the publication of resources for primary and secondary school geography teachers, the organisation of national and regional conferences and CPD events, a lively, interactive website and the Worldwise activities and competitions for schools. Over recent years the GA has successfully secured funding for a wide range of teacher-led innovative curriculum development projects.
Benefits of membership:
- Three termly journals containing practical teaching ideas and background debates, Primary Geographer, Teaching Geography and Geography
- Termly GA Magazine featuring essential updates and information
- Members’ resources online at www.geography.org.uk
- Substantial discounts on GA publications, conferences and CPD events
- Networking opportunities, online and through special interest working groups